Saturday, January 27, 2018

Updating My Girl...

Updating My Girl.....

I'm quickly approaching the seven month mark without you by my side honey. Unfathomable....but I'm writing this as a long overdue update and to try to make peace with my soul. I hide it well these days but in those quiet moments, I still fall apart my darling...my heart cries out for what it knows cannot be and it's then that I shudder in helpless rage as the tears fall. This isn't how it was supposed to be!! For all of it's intensity, my anger and heartache are impotent. I can no more confront a disease than I can God and I know what you told me sweet girl...there isn't a reason or an answer.

Once upon a time just being in your arms was enough. I knew because of the way you loved me...I was blessed to have had you at all but it also makes missing you that much harder. I will forever love you Tammy Jean.

On the positive side, your belongings have been donated to the battered women's shelter as you wished and I returned your training manuals and donated your equipment belt to the Urbandale police department. The new chief was kind enough to not only meet with me but spend thirty minutes of his busy day sharing his thoughts and honoring your service. He also sent me a challenge coin...in your honor. An impressive and compassionate man indeed. Everyone loved my girl...

I've taken you home to our boys and you'd be very proud of how well they're doing. I know I am. My knees are doing well and with minimal direct therapy; I was released to continue on my own without follow up, yesterday. I also joined a gym and have dedicated myself to four days a week. You're always in my ear whispering encouragement and chuckling when I'm sore babe. I've lost 32 lbs to date and the goal is another 50 by years end.

I'm also trying to be present and remain engaged with family and friends. You know that this most of all is hard for me...but I do try.

I see the surgeon on Monday and baring the unforeseen, he should allow me to return to work on the 16th of February. I'm going to SD afterwards to spend time with my father, brothers and family again before I return to the grind. I'll return in time to clear the company doctor and prepare myself to get back into a work routine once more.


I've set the goal of returning to some kind of writing schedule by the end of June. Hopefully, that won't have to be adjusted but we'll see. Life marches forward and I reluctantly accept that...but I miss our life. Your laughter most of all. There is still beauty in this world and I truly try to see it as you did...full of optimism and hope. I want to continue to carry that which you taught me...that beacon of belief into the better natures of all. It's a struggle and not in my nature...but I hear you dear. Now and forever, my honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment